Sunday, August 29, 2010

Simplicity, Satisfaction

Simplicity. mmm...close my eyes, alone in a dark room and listen to Shane and Shane's "Psalm 145"

"For You open Your hands and satisfy the desires of all things"

Satisfaction? I want growth, yeah, so dissatisfaction to some extent. But I nearly cried on the train a few days ago watching a mentally handicap man sit alone, unable to hold his head up for more than a few seconds at a time..uncertain of how he would know where to stop as no one was traveling with him. I put my hand on his arm and said, "Hi, I hope you have a wonderful day." I knew he wouldn't be able to respond to question such as "how are you?" He didn't realize I had spoken to him, or even held his arm until about 5 seconds later.

Before I approahed him I gave a few smiles from my seat..he couldn't smile back :(
I wandered..
"who is he traveling to see? who's life is he a part of? does he do this every thursday? everyday? what are the people who care about him like? how many random people besides me has he truly touched? does he know the Lord loves him? i want to tell him. wait (looking around)..do any of these people know the Lord loves them?"

I started thinking about the term "quality of life." I'm a marketing major. To sell, we make our audience believe that whatever product or service we offer will improve their quality of life. But seriously what's wrong with the quality of life we have now? Aren't I given food to eat every day and a cozy bed every night? Don't I have people in my life to share good and bad things with? Aren't I able to feel, to see, to taste, to smell, to hear? Don't I have two legs and two arms that help me do things I enjoy like dance and play guitar? Isn't my mind functioning enough to understand that MY GOD IS GOOD. ?

When I got off the train I pulled out the journal my sister got me upon leaving, and started reading over some prayers and scriptures that are special to me..that is how I improve my quality of life. Yes, I have an abundance, but if I must want something (our nature says we always do, always have, and always will) ..I'm gonna want more of Jesus <3 What else are we missing???. . .

------------------------

You open Your hands and satisfy the desires of all every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made. The LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cry and saves them. -Psalm 145:16-19

..for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:11b-13

No comments:

Post a Comment