Friday, July 23, 2010

and so I'll seek

Wisdom calls out in the street;
she raises her voice in the public squares.
She cries out above the commotion;
she speaks at the entrance of the city gates:
"How long, foolish ones, will you love ignorance?
How long will you mockers enjoy mocking
and you fools hate knowledge?
If you turn to my discipline,
then I will pour out my spirit on you
and teach you my words.

-Proverbs 1:20-23



Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. -1 Corinthians 10:24



He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it. -Proverbs 11:27



Wisdom is found with the elderly, and understanding comes with long life. Wisdom and strength belong to God; counsel and understanding are His. -Job 12:13


Amos 5

"Seek Me and live!" (v4)

"Seek Yahweh and live" (v5)

"Seek good and not evil so that you may live, and the LORD, the god of Hosts, will be with you, as you have claimed. Hate evil and love good.." (v14, 15a)



"You will seek Me and find Me when you search for me with all of your heart. I will be found by you," decrlares the LORD" -Jeremiah 29:13

For wisdom is better than precious stones, and nothing desirable can compare with it. -Proverbs 8:11

Those who seek Me diligently will find Me. -Proverbs 8:17b

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a kid I'd pick the little white flowers and wish for wisdom. When I had an eyelash on my cheek, I'd wish for wisdom. I had absolutely no clue about the meaning of wisdom, but I wanted it because I had heard it was good.

My motives changed, I became increasingly selfish, and little by little my innocent "wishes" turned into worldy desires. I wanted succes. I wanted attention. I wanted outward beauty. I wanted water from dry springs. Again I grew up and my heart was softened to the things I'd been seeking...but once I had experienced victory in one area, I'd experience defeat in another.

Scripture is very enlightening. Proverbs teaches wisdom and about wisdom. Jesus says "hey, princess, daughter, sweetheart. . .seek Me." Only this time when I am convinced to seek something I perceive to be good, there is promise attached..

and so I'll seek wisdom because I have none.

"Seek Me and live!" (Amos 5:4)

. . .and so I'll seek Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment